The Office of Internal Audit is committed to assisting the School Board and members of management to effectively discharge their responsibilities while providing a World-Class Education.
We strive to serve as an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve operations of Prince William County Public Schools by providing high quality internal audit services recognized by our customers and our peers for innovation, the integrity of our audit work, and the quality of our reports. The Office of Internal Audit strives to assist Prince William County Public Schools in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. We are committed to promoting teamwork in a diverse workforce.
The Office of Internal Audit provides financial and performance audit services to the School Board and the Superintendent. Internal auditing is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve operations. It provides a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
Objectives and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the Office of Internal Audit is to assist all members of the PWCS administration and the School Board in the effective discharge of their responsibilities by providing them with objective analyses, appraisals, recommendations, and pertinent audit comments concerning the following activities:
- Reviewing and appraising the soundness, adequacy, and application of accounting for financial and other operating controls;
- Promoting an effective system of internal controls at a reasonable cost;
- Determining that assets are accounted for and controls are in place to minimize losses;
- Ascertaining the reliability of financial data;
- Recommending operating improvements;
- Determining whether a department or program is achieving its mission, goals, and objectives in an effective manner;
- Assessing compliance with internal policies and procedures as well as local, state, and federal laws; and
- Providing sufficient follow-up on audit findings to determine the degree of implementation of audit recommendations. Standards of Practice The Office of Internal Audit follows the Institute of Internal Auditors’ standards. Reporting Responsibilities The School Board established the Office of Internal Audit, which reports directly to the Internal Audit Committee and through the Internal Audit Committee to the School Board. The Audit Committee consists of three members, including two members of the School Board and the Associate Superintendent for Finance and Support Services.