Student Athletics

Welcome to Student Athletics

Tryout Information

For information concerning sports seasons and specific school information, contact your middle school or high school.

To try out and participate in athletic activities students must:

  • Take concussion training no earlier than July 15 of the upcoming school year;
  • Meet participation requirements; and
  • Have a current physical dated after May 1.

Physicals from previous years are ineligible. Please remember to complete the physical form in its entirety, complete with the required signatures.

Quick reference for Virginia High School League (VHSL) eligibility.

All student-athletes must meet the VHSL academic requirement of passing five classes in the previous semester and must be enrolled in no less than five classes for the current semester.

PWCS academic standards require high school students participating in interscholastic athletics, cheerleading, marching band, and drill team to pass five subjects and earn a "C" or better in two of those five subjects at the end of the first semester and the end of the school year.

Middle and High School Physical Forms and Participation Guides

Virginia High School League Eligibility

PWCS Regulation 721-2 Student Transfers - High School Athletic Eligibility

With the adoption of PWCS Regulation 721-2, changes have been added that impact a student's VHSL eligibility for participation in interscholastic sports at the high school level. Briefly stated, the following excerpts from Regulation 721-2 describe possible impact if a student transfers from one school to another:

  • Once a student establishes eligibility in a high school, any additional transfer requests for designated site programs shall not be considered for a waiver and the student shall be ineligible for 365 days from the date of the transfer.
  • Students who enter the ninth grade through residence or acceptance into a designated site program will establish VHSL eligibility at the school.
  • Once a student establishes eligibility at a high school and the student transfers to another high school for any reason, the student shall be ineligible for 365 days unless there is a corresponding change of address in accordance with VHSL Regulation 28A-7-1.

For full and detailed information, refer to Regulation 721-2.

For College Bound Student-Athletes

Are you interested in knowing if you are eligible for NCAA athletic participation? Student-athletes interested in participating in college athletics at a Division I or Division II college or university must register with the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

  • NCAA Eligibility Center
  • "The Guide for the College Bound Student Athlete"
  • Understanding the NCAA Clearinghouse
  • NCAA Division I/II Worksheet
  • NCAA - Division I New Academic Requirements

Quick Links

Health and Safety

Concussion Education

All student athletes and their parents or guardians are required to take concussion education training each school year.

Concussion Education


Looking for your school's athletic event? Go directly to the school's athletic page.