The following information on becoming a teacher with PWCS is provided to help you understand the various pathways to a career in education. 

It is recommended that all applicants who do not hold a full renewable teaching license from another state, and who have not completed an approved licensure program acceptable to the Virginia Department of Education, to seek guidance from an approved licensure program provider to determine the best route for licensure to meet your specific goals. Approved Licensure programs provide you the skills and knowledge to be a great teacher and often result in less course work and provide support with licensure regulation changes. Principals are looking for program completers!

Understanding Career Pathways to Becoming a Teacher and the Provisional License Process (PPT)

Routes to Licensure and Documents Needed to Show License Eligibility

What Should I Do Next to Become a Teacher? (Word)

To be considered for a contracted teacher position, all applicants must complete the Teaching Application process and include all unofficial transcripts for all educational history to show license eligibility. 

A Provisional license is issued by the VDOE only upon hire in a contracted teaching position. Licensure is a post employment process after a teacher contract offer has been made by a hiring supervisor. (Please note the VDOE issues licenses effective July 1 of the school year in which you apply for the license therefore consideration should be made when applying for initial licensure mid-year.)

Did You Know?

A bachelor's degree in any of the following areas is accepted for a provisional teaching license:

  • Agricultural Education
  • American Sign Language
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Dance Arts
  • Earth Science
  • Engineering
  • English
  • Foreign Language (French, Spanish, German, etc.)
  • Health and Physical Education


  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Technology Education
  • Theater Arts
  • Visual Arts

  • If you do not have at least a Bachelor's degree in one of these areas or a degree in education, but believe you may be eligible for licensure based upon coursework completed in college, please review the Endorsement Requirements.


    Interested in teaching special education?

    Contact Kelly Severo, GMU to learn more about the PWCS/GMU Special Education cohort opportunities: Kelly M. Severo or 703.993.4361.

    Interested in teaching Spanish, French or German?

    If you have a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institute and you have passing Praxis II scores, you may be eligible for hire as a foreign language teacher!

    French World Language Test Code 5174
    German World Language Test Code 5183
    Spanish World Language Test Code 5195 

    For information on registration, fees and testing locations go to