To provide innovative, high quality transition support services to students with disabilities. Emphasis is placed on developing the student’s self-determination and those skills necessary for achieving successful postsecondary outcomes. Outcomes may include, but are not limited to, independent living, vocational training, employment and postsecondary education. All services will be provided in a manner consistent with student-centered planning and will reflect the student’s unique characteristics, talents, interests, and desires.
Mark Your Calendar for March 18: Fair Helps Students with Disabilities Plan for Transition
Students who have IEPs and are age 13 and older should be made aware of the Transition Fair set for Saturday, March 18, 2017, from Noon–3:30 p.m at the Kelly Leadership Center. The fair is an opportunity to meet with private and public agencies that provide a variety of support services to youth and adults with disabilities who face significant changes as they complete their high school careers.
To register for the fair, call 703.791.8354 (voice) or 703.791.8847 (TDD). Accommodations provided upon request.
Transition Services refers to those programs and services provided by Prince William County Public Schools’ Special Education Department that are specifically designed to prepare and support students with disabilities in their transition from high school to adult roles.
• Assisting students in identifying a postsecondary vision for themselves based upon their interests and preferences,
• Assisting students in identifying their transition related needs and in planning for their transition,
• Providing instructional opportunities to students so that they may acquire the skills necessary for adult life,
• Providing opportunities for career awareness, career exploration, and the development of appropriate work behaviors and marketable job skills,
• Facilitating linkages with adult services, vocational training and postsecondary education providers,
The ultimate goal is for students to participate in meaningful activities that will equip them with the requisite skills to live successful and rewarding lives.