The following information on becoming a teacher with Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) is provided to help you understand the various pathways to a career in education.

It is recommended that all applicants who do not hold a full, renewable teaching license from another state, and who have not completed an approved licensure program acceptable to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), seek guidance from an approved licensure program provider to determine the best route for licensure to meet your specific goals. Approved licensure programs provide you the skills and knowledge to be a great teacher and, often result in less course work and provide support with licensure regulation changes. Principals are looking for program completers!

To be considered for a contracted teacher position, all applicants must complete the Teaching Application process and include all unofficial transcripts for all educational history to show license eligibility.

A provisional license is issued by the VDOE only upon hire in a contracted teaching position. Licensure is a post employment process after a teacher contract offer has been made by a hiring supervisor. (Please note the VDOE issues licenses effective July 1 of the school year in which you apply for the license; therefore, consideration should be made when applying for initial licensure mid-year.)

Did You Know?

A bachelor's degree in any of the following areas is accepted for a provisional teaching license:

  • Agricultural Education
  • American Sign Language
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Dance Arts
  • Earth Science
  • Engineering
  • English
  • Foreign Language (French, Spanish, German, etc.)
  • Health and Physical Education
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Technology Education
  • Theater Arts
  • Visual Arts

If you do not have at least a bachelor's degree in one of these areas or a degree in education, but believe you may be eligible for licensure based upon coursework completed in college, please review the Endorsement Requirements.

Interested in teaching special education?

Do you know that with a bachelor's or master's degree and successful completion of the course that covers the legal aspects and characteristics of special education, you may be eligible for a provisional license in special education?

The Department for Human Resources, in collaboration with George Mason University, is offering EDSE 501: Introduction to Special Education as a scholarship; this course meets the prerequisite requirement for a provisional license for special education general curriculum. The course will start May 23, 2022, and end August 1, 2022. The cost of the self-paced, online three-credit graduate level class and the textbook will be paid by PWCS.

Eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:

  • Be an active PWCS employee
  • Possess a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution
  • Meets or Exceeds standards on the most recent evaluation
  • Support of current administrator for enrollment in the course
  • Agree to remain in PWCS for two years following completion of the course

You can also contact Crystal Trebing at George Mason University (GMU), to learn more about the PWCS/GMU Special Education cohort opportunities. Contact Crystal Trebing at or 703-993-4361.

Interested in teaching Spanish, French, or German?

If you have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institute and you have passing Praxis II scores, you may be eligible for hire as a foreign language teacher!

  • French World Language Test Code 5174
  • German World Language Test Code 5183
  • Spanish World Language Test Code 5195

For information on registration, fees, and testing locations, please go to