Section 504

What is Section 504?

A book, part of title can be read as Section 504

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a broad civil rights law that protects the rights of individuals with disabilities in programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.

Who is Protected?

A student who has a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities is protected under Section 504. Major life activities can include: eating, breathing, walking, learning, concentrating, thinking, or caring for oneself.

How Does a Student Become Eligible for Section 504?

Referrals can be made in writing or verbally to the school-based administrator. An intervention team meeting must be convened within 10 business days of receipt of referral by an administrator. To determine if an evaluation should be initiated. To be eligible under Section 504, a student must have a "physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities".

Director's Memo - Reminder for Intervention and IEP Teams (PDF)

What Does Section 504 Provide for Students?

When students are eligible under Section 504, an accommodation plan is developed. Accommodations are designed to reflect specific areas in which a substantial limitation is documented and to meet the individual student's needs. A case manager is assigned to each student who has an accommodation plan and is the point of contact for all individuals who work with the student. The case manager ensures that everyone working with the student has an understanding of the student and the accommodations. Each person working with the student is responsible for implementing the plan.

The accommodation plan is updated before the start of each new school year. Eligibility for Section 504 is reviewed at least every three years.

Administrative Contact

Amanda Mallory, Supervisor
[email protected]

Sherry Baker, Section 504
Administrative Coordinator
[email protected]

Suzanne Griffith, Administrative Assistant II
[email protected]

Who to Contact?

Contact the administrator of your child's school to request a meeting with the Intervention Team.

Need Help?

Find your neighborhood school.