Student Teaching and Internships

Student Teaching and Internships in PWCS

Illustrations of People

Why intern with PWCS?

  • Each student teacher or intern is placed with a master educator recommended by program, content, and school leaders.
  • Cooperating teachers are provided the opportunity to complete division-based training in instructional coaching.
  • Student teachers are invited to participate in professional learning, including educator support sessions, providing the opportunity to engage with beginning educators and teacher leaders and the Student Teaching/Internship Conference with leaders from the Human Resources Department and representatives from the Professional Learning Department.
  • PWCS hires hundreds of educators annually to keep pace with our growing school division.

Requirements for Practicum Students, Interns, and Student Teachers

Teaching/Counseling/Other Internships

No later than July 1 (for fall placement) or November 1 (for spring placement), students interested in completing a practicum or internship with PWCS must:

  1. Request your college/university supervisor complete an online placement request form on your behalf.
  2. Complete a PWCS Substitute/Temporary online application. Upload a current resume, unofficial transcript(s), and a reference (this could be from your cooperating teacher or college/university supervisor).
  3. Obtain a negative Tuberculosis (TB) test result (PDF) dated within the last 12 months at a medical facility of your choosing.
  4. Read, print, and complete the acknowledgment form for Regulation 511-10 (Attachment II). Provide the completed form to your assigned school the first day you report. If you are placed in multiple schools, please provide the completed form to each school.

If you are a current employee, including a substitute, and you have already completed this process within the last 6 months, you do not need to do so again at this time.

Requesting Placement

PWCS Student Teacher, Internship, Practicum, and Field Placement Request Form-SY 2024-25

Use this form to request all Student Teaching, Internship, Practicum, and Field Placements – including:

  • Teachers
  • School librarians
  • School counselors
  • Speech language pathologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Physical therapists
  • Social workers
  • Athletic trainers

The form must be completed by the college/university supervisor, not the intern (student).


Student Teaching and Internship Regulation

Questions Regarding Student Teaching or Internship?

Contact the Recruitment and Specialty Programs office at [email protected].